Wednesday, February 1, 2017

TAKE CARE OF YOUR AUTHENIC SELF

As i'm sitting here admiring my curl pattern on my now natural hair I legit began to get emotional because of the long road it took me to get here.

Back in 6th grade I was getting my hair did every two weeks, and every two weeks my hair stylist at the time was letting me get crimps YES! every two weeks. For those who are lacking melanin crimps is a hairstyle that requires plenty of heat each and every time they are created. 

So i'm pretty sure you can guess what happen next. Yes all my hair came out!! and the lady who was doing my hair told me " I told you not be getting crimps every week" 

I remember this day so vividly because I said to myself " lady if I knew my hair would end up damaged by it I would have never got them". 

After that day I didn't wear my hair out for another 6 years and that's when the insecurity about my hair began to plagued my life,

From Glue ins to sew ins to box braids to micro braids none every really made my hair grow back. From hairstylist to hairstylist none of them cared enough to help my hair grow back nor did they ever tell me it was damaged. I would just pay them and go on my merry way. I came to a point where I just was like fuck it and I told myself I didn't care about having hair and i'll just wear weave forever.

As the years went by I had the whole ideal that as a black woman I may never have long hair down my back and that's just the way it is .

Once my Perm hair fell out I decided to go natural which was the first step to nurturing my crown.
Eventually I stopped going to hair salons and I decided to buy wigs so that I could care for my own hair.

And then it happened.....my hair started to grow.  I saw a whole different type of beauty in myself that I didn't knew exist.

I'm Blogging about this to say that it's nothing wrong with getting  dolled up and ultimately you can get what ever hairstyle you damn well please, but you have to wonder why would a stylist put something in your hair that could potentially take it out or leave you without edges.

It's very important that when you take off all those European standards.... make sure that you see your own Glory.

Take care of your Authenic Self.

PS: I ain't Bald BITCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment