Friday, August 26, 2016

Ode To Badu and Assata

So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, why am I the way I am. Then it hits me. Its because I was blessed to be able to have such amazing women knocking down walls. On every occasion I find myself thanking Erykah Badu.

That's because to me she's one of my biggest influences. She was never afraid to be herself even if it made others uncomfortable. that alone gave me a sense of freedom,a drive to be my own authentic self.

From her music to her fashion to her way of thinking, it constantly makes me want to evolve as a young black woman.

Assata Shakur is someone who I've been studying for the longest. She's one of those people who you wont learn about in school but who you desperately need to.

She's a revolutionary in her own right, a woman who refused to be oppressed and wanted the african american community to know that we have come far but not far enough.

She inspires me everyday to fight for what I believe in even if no one believes in me.

I am just a reflection of the Queens Before Me

No comments:

Post a Comment